There is no doubt that all Australians have been affected by the COVID-19 coronavirus pandemic in one way or another.
Restrictions limiting movements, the cancellation of non-essential procedures and the shutdown of businesses and schools have been difficult to navigate.
But those hit hardest in terms of their livelihood are in specific industries with travel, tourism and hospitality bearing the brunt of the restrictions designed to slow the curve and keep everyone safe.
If you’re in one of these industries, you might be considering your options. Perhaps you are thinking about changing careers, and if so, you are looking at the career opportunities that remain steady during a pandemic.
One of the most obvious choices is health care and human services industries, which will not only remain relevant during COVID-19 but will continue to experience strong growth after the pandemic.
Industries Directly Impacted by COVID-19
In mid-March, 60 per cent of Australian businesses reported that they had been affected by the coronavirus pandemic.
The industries directly hit by the pandemic are those that were forced to shut down, and include hospitality, air travel, tourism, entertainment, and recreation.
Few industries have been hit as hard as the hospitality industry during the pandemic. It’s an industry that felt the impact immediately and will most likely be the last to recover.
The pandemic has had a significant impact on the aviation industry due to travel restrictions that all but shut down national and international travel. Revenues have been drastically reduced and as a result, there have been massive job losses.
Tourism came to a grinding halt due to travel and movement restrictions as many countries attempted to contain the spread of the coronavirus pandemic. The United Nations World Tourism Organization estimates that worldwide international tourism may decrease by as much as 30 per cent in 2020.
The film, theatre and television industries are vulnerable to the pandemic as they require people in small spaces both in making a production and in viewing it. As such, the Australian entertainment industry has been impacted considerably in the past six months.
Sport and Recreation
The community sport and active recreation sector have suffered significant revenue losses since the start of the pandemic. Sporting associations, club sport and leagues have incurred substantial financial setbacks.
These industries are bound to bounce back eventually, but until a vaccine is found they are industries that remain vulnerable. If you’re looking for a pandemic-proof career move, take a look at jobs in health care, counselling, and human services.
Careers in Health Care, Counselling & Human Services
If you’re considering a career change due to COVID-19 job loss, these professional development courses are the perfect pathway into a pandemic-proof job that’s in-demand now and into the future.
This all-inclusive professional development course equips you with the knowledge and skills to work as a general transcriptionist as well as specialising in the medical and legal sectors. This gives you the competitive edge in the transcriptionist field as your certification is transferable across industries.
- Increase keyboarding speed and accuracy
- Produce texts from audio
- Write complex documents
- Understand medical terminology
- Discover complex legal documents
- Produce texts from notes
- Learn about confidentiality, privacy, and security in a medical and legal environment
- Understand legal terminology
Do you have a desire to work in a helping profession? Would you like to start a career in one of the most in-demand and secure industries? Yes? Then this is the course for you.
The Certificate of Health Care is an online professional development program that will provide you with the skills and knowledge required to work effectively in the dynamic health care environment with clients, staff, visitors, and suppliers.
- Communicate with internal and external clients in a medical environment
- Use advanced medical terminology
- Learn effective communication skills
- Support delivery of client care services
- Learn knowledge of anatomy and physiology
- Identify the function of the body in the health care context
- Provide first aid response, life support and management of casualties
This online professional development course will provide you with the foundation knowledge you need to work in a personal services or community care role. You will gain the skills and knowledge required to work effectively with clients, family members, staff, visitors, suppliers, and others to meet established work requirements.
The Certificate of Home and Community Care will give you the confidence to successfully fulfil responsibilities as a personal care assistant, transport support worker, home maintenance provider, domestic and food services provider and other community service positions.
- Provide home and community support services
- Communicate and work in health and community services
- Meet personal support needs
- Provide individual support
- Facilitate the empowerment of older people
Are you ready to launch your career as a practice manager? Whether you currently work in a medical setting or want to change careers, this online professional development course will give you the confidence to pursue a career in medical administration.
The Certificate of Medical Business Administration is designed to provide graduates with the knowledge and skills required to understand and carry out all tasks relating to business administration and practice management in a medical setting.
- Manage health billing and accounting
- Medical terminology
- Maintain patient records
- Confidentiality, privacy, and security in the medical environment
- Prepare and process medical accounts
- Assist in controlling stocks and supplies
- Contribute to the health and safety of self and others
Introduction to Pathology Assistance an online professional development course designed to give graduates the knowledge and skills required to prepare for work within a pathology and specimen collection environment.
- Operate efficiently within a pathology and specimen collection
- Perform venous blood collections
- Comply with infection prevention and control policies and procedures
- Interpret and apply medical terminology appropriately
- Identify and respond to clinical risks in pathology collection
- Operate effectively within a pathology testing environment
- Receive and prepare samples for testing
The Certificate of Aged Care Counselling is an online program that will help you to understand the physical and psychological challenges of people as they age, and determine solutions to assist, including offering support services.
- Understand aging
- Lifestyle changes
- Deterioration of health
- Support services
- Enablement techniques
- Grief and loss counselling
- Debilitation and terminal illness
- Losing a loved one
- Ethics and intervention
The Certificate of Child and Adolescent Mental Health is an online program that will explore the signs and symptoms of mental health conditions and treatment options available for young people.
- The nature and scope of mental health
- Childhood depression
- Anxiety disorders
- Tic disorders
- Brain disorders – injury and disease
- Environmental problems
- Problems of adolescence
- Holistic and alternative approaches to treatment
If you have a passion for helping others in your community this online professional development course will help launch your career as a Community Services Worker.
The Certificate of Community Services will provide you with the knowledge and skills to provide a range of programs, services and interventions for individuals, groups and the community.
- Facilitate the interests and right of clients
- Assess co-existing needs
- Recognise and respond to crisis situations
- Use communication to build relationships
- Work with diverse people
- Work legally and ethically
- Develop and maintain networks and collaborative partnerships
- Reflect on and improve own professional practice
- Develop, facilitate, and review all aspects of case management
Are you ready to explore your career options after COVID-19 job loss? There are hundreds of professional development courses covering a multitude of industries. Simply visit and enrol online to find your new direction today.