Course Outline and Topics
If you aspire to work in the rewarding field of education in indigenous communities this professional development course is ideal for you. This online course is also essential training for teachers working with students from Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander backgrounds.
Education Strategies for Indigenous Students is a short online professional development course designed to give graduates the knowledge and skills required to support, contribute to and coordinate education opportunities for students, including those from Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander backgrounds.
This course addresses the inclusion of community members in school activities and emphasises the demonstration that everyone is valued in day-to-day interactions and students are supported in their development.
In this education for indigenous Australians course you will learn about positive indigenous learning environments, organisational legislation and policies, diversity, literacy and numeracy, local culture and customs, ceremonies and acknowledgement and community engagement.
On completion of this online course you will feel confident to implement positive education strategies for indigenous Australians.
- Positive education environment
- Organisation policies and legislation
- Child Protection Act
- Respecting diversity
- Resources and activities
- Imaginative play
- Community engagement
- Government publications
- Films and videos
- Education programs
- Indigenous learning environment
- Educational policy and curriculum
- Support community engagement
- Local culture and customs
- Ceremonies and acknowledgement
- Parents and family
- Educational programs
- Pastoral care initiatives
- Support cultural identity
- Cultural awareness
- Information technology
- Music, puzzles, construction
- Games, imaginative play
- Cooking, nature
- Literacy and numeracy strategies
- Linguistic competence
- Numeracy resources
- Hearing and sight loss
- Cultural disconnect
Written assignments and exercises, including short-answer questions, reports/essays and projects. There are no examinations or due dates for assessment.
- Become fully trained and improve your employment opportunities;
- Recognised by employers as professional development;
- Study online, anywhere via our elearning system;
- Access to high-quality courses written by industry experts;
- Interactive simulations for many programs;
- All course materials provided online – no textbooks to buy;
- Unlimited tutor support;
- Easy to understand course content;
- Unlimited enrolment with no expiry;
- Certificate issued for your CV (hard copy provided);
- Tax deductible in most cases* See your tax advisor.