Course Outline and Topics
If you’d like to learn how to improve quality management to ensure the delivery of high-quality products and services for an organisation, this course is for you.
The Certificate of Total Quality Management is an online professional development course that will explore a customer-oriented philosophy to ensure all members of an organisation strive to achieve improvement.
This online total quality management course will provide you with an understanding of TQM principles in order to incorporate them into your organisation’s framework. You will discover the tools, techniques and practices that are critical for the long-term success of an organisation, including quality assurance, quality control, continuous improvement, lean improvement, Six Sigma, Kaizen, and other vital management techniques.
On completion of this course you will feel confident to use your skills and knowledge to implement a total quality management system for an organisation.
- Definition of TQM
- What is Quality?
- Why a Quality Management System is required?
- The Cost of Quality?
- Benefits of a Total Quality Management System
- William Edwards Deming
- Deming’s 14
- Joseph Juran
- Phil Crosby
- Kaoru Ishikawa
- Shigeo Shingo
- Comparison of TQM with Traditional Management Practices
- Important Aspects and Principles of TQM
- Commitment to Customers
- Customer Satisfaction
- Quality Cannot be Compromised
- Relationship with Internal and External Customers
- Supply Chain Management
- Human Resource Management
- The Role of Higher Management
- Employee Motivation
- Autonomy to Employees
- Working in Teams
- Gathering and Analysing Data
- Continuous improvement
- Positions and Responsibilities
- TQM AND ISO 9000
- The ISO 9000 Series in Brief
- Advantages of Implementing ISO 9000
- Elements of a Quality Cost System
- Organisational Transition to TQM
- Building a Quality Framework
- Employee Empowerment
- Role of Senior Management in Implementing Quality
- Role of Middle Management and First Line Managers
- Quality Policy Deployment
- Communicating the Quality Strategy
- Measuring Performance and Feedback
- What is Performance Measurement?
- Performance measures
- The human element
- Effectiveness and efficiency
- Process Redesign and Business Process Reengineering (BPR)
- Performance Measurement through Quality Costs
- The Implementation Stage
- The Evaluation and Control Stage
- Quality Audits, Self-Assessment and Review
- Quality Management Systems and Tools
- Quality Function Deployment (QFD)
- Kano Model and Customer Satisfaction
- The House of Quality – A Tool in QFD
- Six Sigma
- Lean Manufacturing
- Cause and Effect Diagram (Fish-Bone)
- Pareto Chart Analysis
- Histogram, Scatter Diagrams and Flowcharts
- Check Sheets
- Management and Planning (MP) Tools
- Affinity Diagrams
- Tree Diagram
- Interrelationship Diagraphs
- Matrix Diagrams
- Prioritisation Matrix
- Process Decision Program Charts (PDPC)
- Activity Network Diagrams/ Arrow Diagrams
- Statistical Process Control
- Design of Experiments (DOE)
- Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA)
Written assignments and exercises, including short-answer questions, reports/essays and projects. There are no examinations or due dates for assessment.