Course Outline and Topics
Sociology has practical applications for many industries and occupations. The study of society and human behaviour is particularly important for organisations and managers to respond to customer and employee needs and problems.
The Certificate of Sociology is an online professional development course that will introduce you to the sociological perspective and the way sociologists approach and study the social world. You will explore major theoretical perspectives and concepts including socialisation, culture, deviance, inequality, social change and social structure. You will also discover the influence of social class and social institutions, such as churches, education, healthcare, government, economy and environment.
On completion of this sociology course, you will have a comprehensive understanding of the major theoretical perspectives and concepts of sociology and how they impact individuals, groups and organisations.
- Introducing sociology
- Founders of sociology
- Sociological perspectives
- Culture and society
- Cultural diversity
- Types of societies
- Child development
- Adult development
- Social groups
- Theories of crime and deviance
- Social stratification
- Social mobility
- Theories of poverty
- Prejudice and discrimination
- Gender identity
- Economic systems
- Political systems
- Theories of education
- Sociology and religion
- Sociology and health
- Population and demographics
- Mass media and society
- Social change
Written assignments and exercises, including short-answer questions, reports/essays and projects. There are no examinations or due dates for assessment.
- Become fully trained and improve your employment opportunities;
- Recognised by employers as professional development;
- Study online, anywhere via our elearning system;
- Access to high-quality courses written by industry experts;
- Interactive simulations for many programs;
- All course materials provided online – no textbooks to buy;
- Unlimited tutor support;
- Easy to understand course content;
- Unlimited enrolment with no expiry;
- Certificate issued for your CV (hard copy provided);
- Tax deductible in most cases* See your tax advisor.