Course Outline and Topics
If you are a small business owner, manager, or are aspiring for management roles, or plan to start a business, you will benefit from gaining an understanding of how the law impacts on your business activities.
The Certificate of Business Law is a professional development program designed to equip you with a thorough understanding of the fundamental principals of commercial law. This professional development program will give you foundation knowledge about the origins of our legal system and the framework in which businesses operate.
This business law course covers the many facets of commercial law, the origins of Australian law, the legal framework in which business operates, torts, defamation, negotiable instruments (such as cheques and bills of sale), business entities and the laws pertaining to business financial dealings.
On completion of this course, you will have a competent understanding of how Australian commercial law impacts on your business operations.
- Origins of Australian law
- Background to Australian law
- Doctrine of reception
- Development of English law
- Path to independence
- Post Federation
- Elements of Australian statutes
- The Commonwealth and the states
- The Constitution
- Governmental powers
- Exclusive powers
- Concurrent powers
- Residual powers
- Types of law
- Statute law
- The Court system
- Contract Law
- Trade Practices Law
- Bankruptcy Law
- Civil liability
- What is the law of tort?
- Intentional torts
- Torts of nuisance
- Negligence: General duty of care
- Negligence: Particular duties
- The tort of defamation
- Business entities and business names
- Sole trader
- Limited liability companies
- Liabilities of participants in entities
- Legal requirements
- Business names
- Negotiable instruments
- Bills of exchange and promissory notes
- Cheques and payment orders
- Reporting cash transactions
- Objectives of the Act
- Obligations under the Act
- Penalties for breach
Written assignments and exercises, including short-answer questions, reports/essays and projects. There are no examinations or due dates for assessment.
- Become fully trained and improve your employment opportunities;
- Recognised by employers as professional development;
- Study online, anywhere via our elearning system;
- Access to high-quality courses written by industry experts;
- Interactive simulations for many programs;
- All course materials provided online – no textbooks to buy;
- Unlimited tutor support;
- Easy to understand course content;
- Unlimited enrolment with no expiry;
- Certificate issued for your CV (hard copy provided);
- Tax deductible in most cases* See your tax advisor.