There are a lot of uncertainties in the COVID-19 pandemic business world, but one thing is certain — we need to be adaptable to what is an ever-changing environment. Along with trends towards automation, E-commerce and remote work, the future of work is also centred around the need for workers to be prepared to re-skill throughout their careers to meet changing demands.
Skills-based Business Courses
According to the 2021 National Skills Commission report, core competencies, otherwise known as “soft” or “employability skills” will become increasingly important. These are skills that are common across most occupations and industries.
Here are some of the business skills that are in greatest demand, including some recommended by the World Economic Forum’s (WEF) 2020 Future of Jobs Report. We’ve also included some suggestions of online business courses we offer that will help you achieve them!
- Analytical thinking and innovation
- Active learning and learning strategies
- Complex problem-solving – Our Critical Thinking and Problem Solving course
- Critical thinking and analysis
- Creativity, originality and initiative
- Social intelligence/EQ – Our Emotional Intelligence course
- Leadership and social influence
- Technology use, monitoring and control
- Technology design and programming
- Resilience, stress tolerance and flexibility
- Conflict management – Our Conflict Management Program
- Reasoning, problem-solving and ideation
- Clear communication – Our Certificate of Business Writing and Communication
- Encouraging workplace diversity – Our Leading Diversity and Inclusion course
Industry-based Business Courses
If you already have an idea of the type of industry and role you would like to aim for or transition to, we also offer a range of online business courses that will help you get your foot in the career door. Some stats from the Australian Government’s Labour Market Insights might also offer that final bit of inspiration to get you started!
HR and Recruitment
Human Resource Professionals plan, develop, implement and evaluate staff recruitment and assist in resolving disputes by advising on workplace matters. Many of them also represent commercial, industrial, employer, union and other parties in negotiations on issues like rates of pay, enterprise bargaining and conditions of employment.
In terms of online business courses, consider one of our human resources and recruitment courses. According to the Labour Market Insights, the future growth of HR professional jobs is expected to be over 13.1 per cent by 2026.
Those who work in office administration perform a wide range of admin support roles to professionals in a range of occupations. Typically, they will use relevant equipment and software, deal with customer or client enquires, organise and collate paperwork, organise meeting resources and manage budgets, data and financial systems. Some of the most common online business courses undertaken are:
- General office administration courses. According to the Labour Market Insights, the future growth of Office Managers is expected to be over 4.9 per cent by 2026.
- Executive Assistant Program
- Dental Reception and Office Administration
- Education Support School Administration
- Hotel Reception and Administration
- Legal Administration Paralegal
In the broadest sense, project managers (PMs) are responsible for planning, organising, and directing the completion of specific projects for an organisation while ensuring projects are on budget, on time, and within scope. They may also undertake risk assessments, manage stakeholder relationships and report back to stakeholders in terms of highlighting any risks, challenges and successes. Project management online business courses can cover areas like:
- Project Communications and Stakeholder Engagement
- Planning and Scheduling
- Project Time and Cost Management
- Managing Project Quality
- Managing Remote Work
- Procurement and contract management
- Introduction to Computer Assisted Design CAD
Management and Leadership
Managers perform a variety of functions from supporting decision-making and problem solving and translating corporate goals, to monitoring and controlling budgets and planning and goal setting for the future (among many other tasks!) General management and leadership online business courses can include:
- Restaurant management According to the Labour Market Insights, the future growth of Restaurant Managers is expected to be over 27.3 per cent by 2026.
- Practice management
- Frontline management
- Operations management
- Small business management
- Contact centre management
- Strategic management
- Conflict management
- Anger management
- Professional supervision
- Building business networks
- Business planning
- Administration – business
- Business coaching
- Business psychology
- Change management
- Coaching and mentoring
Government /Public Sector
This industry sector spans federal, state or territory and local governments with varying responsibilities. The federal government is responsible for the conduct of national affairs, which can include trade, currency and commerce, defence and foreign affairs, air travel, immigration, postal services, telecommunications and broadcasting, and most social services and pensions.
Major State responsibilities include schools, public works, hospitals, roads, railways and public transport, conservation and environment, agriculture and fishing, community services, industrial relations, sport and recreation, consumer affairs, police, prisons and emergency services.
Local Councils are concerned with matters close to our homes, such as public health, building regulations and development, parks and playing fields, local roads and footpaths, waste disposal, libraries, local environmental issues, and many other community services.
One of the benefits of online study is that you can choose courses on a range of subjects to suit your individual circumstances. So if the government sector is your preference, many of the above online business courses will greatly enhance your skills and employability.
Work Health and Safety
Sometimes called occupational health and safety, work health and safety (WHS) involves the management of risks to the health and safety of people in the workplace. This includes all employees as well as visitors, customers and suppliers. Some of the areas online business courses in WHS cover include:
According to the Labour Market Insights, the future growth of public administration and safety jobs is expected to be over 4.2 per cent by 2026.