If you want to get fit faster, include these ten foods in your diet immediately. THR1VE’S Nutritionist, Shannon Young, shares her advice on fuelling and fast-tracking your fitness.
- Salmon. The omega-3 fatty acids found in fatty fish like salmon have been linked to a list of benefits, more recently proving to be a potent muscle booster. When protein is consumed with omega-3’s your body shows an increase in the number of amino acids it uses to build new protein tissues, especially skeletal muscles.
- Broccoli. Containing high levels of calcium and vitamin K, both of which will help support the strengthening of bones, broccoli is a fantastic addition if you’re trying to improve your fitness. It also has the added benefits of antioxidants, is high fibre and boasts a whole army of vitamins and minerals to keep you going.
- Sweet Potatoes. One of the most versatile vegetables sweet potatoes are packed with disease-fighting beta-carotene, iron, fibre and vitamin C. They are also high in the electrolyte potassium, which can help ward off muscle cramping during exercise.
- Bananas. Just like sweet potatoes, bananas are packed with potassium to reduce muscle cramping. Feeling a little blue? Their mood-boosting serotonin may help – they are also higher in carbohydrates making them brilliant for re-fuelling after a powerful workout.
- Brazil Nuts. All nuts are a fantastic addition to your diet as they are packed full of vitamins, minerals and fibre. However, Brazil nuts will also help maintain a healthy immune system and can help protect against heart disease due to their high selenium content.
- Eggs are an excellent post-workout option for 2 reasons: They are high in protein and are a good source of key nutrients, both of which will facilitate your body’s ability to repair after an acute gym session. Eggs also contain all eight essential amino acids needed for optimal muscle recovery plus valuable minerals like calcium, zinc and iron.
- Quinoa. Quinoa is a complete protein which means that it contains all 8 essential amino acids that your muscles need for growth and repair. Quinoa is also packed with B vitamins for energy, calcium and magnesium to support the nervous system and iron needed to transport oxygen around the body.
- Blueberries to aid recovery. These little purple gems have been shown to the improve the rate of recovery in athletes and exercisers. This is due to their high antioxidant levels: vitamin C, B complex, vitamin E, vitamin A, copper, selenium, zinc and iron (just to name a few!) means these little power houses will also boost your immune system.
- Turmeric has high anti-inflammatory properties and can reduce exercise-induced inflammation, decrease oxidative stress and support your joints from wear and tear. Turmeric can also improve mental capacity and the healthier our brain, the more likely we are to be focused on all areas of our life, including keeping fit.
- Water. This one may seem obvious, but failure to hydrate properly is a common mistake and can inhibit your results dramatically. To feel great and stay energised, you should be aiming to consume 2-3 litres of water per day.
Why Become a Nutritionist?
Young says if she had to sum it up in one word it would be that it’s ‘rewarding’ – both professionally and personally. “Whether its talking to our THR1VE customers daily, writing content or just helping friends and family – I love knowing that something I have said, or written, could potentially help someone and I don’t think there is a better feeling.”
“I took a big risk switching professions from something that paid the bills to something I am truly passionate about and I haven’t looked back,” says Young.
“The best thing about the food and nutrition industry is that there is always something new to learn whether it’s a new study, a new book or a new recipe – it’s never boring.”
Study Food and Nutrition
If you’re interested working in the nutrition and dietetics’ industry or have an interest in improving your knowledge of food and nutrition, the following online courses with Australian Online Courses are perfect for you.